New data visualization tools are always fun to explore and the newest release from the Census Bureau doesn’t disappoint. In early December, the Census Bureau released a State and County Dashboard – a tool that helps communities view ACS indicators in an interactive mapping environment.
Using the recently released 2016, five-year estimates, the tool allows you to choose a single state or county and click through the following set of 2012-2015 ACS indicators:
- Total population
- Average Household Size
- Percent of Population Below Poverty
- Percent of Foreign Born Population
- Percent of Population with a High School Diploma or Higher
- Mean Travel Time to Work (in minutes)
- Median Age
- Median Home Value
- Median Household Income
- Unemployment Rate
- Veterans (percent of total population)
The tool also shows the data as a comparison across county, state, and national geographies and allows for margin of error displays.