From health and recreation to soils and air quality – it’s our mission to provide tools that support healthier, more sustainable, and more equitable communities. Although we’re best known for our health-related data and tools, here at Community Commons we strive to look at communities comprehensively and that’s why we found it important to engage in projects like the one outlined below.
The Ag Site Assessment Tool, known more commonly as AgSite, is a web-based tool developed collaboratively between the University of Missouri Extension, Center for Applied Research and Environmental Science (CARES), and Community Commons. The AgSite replaces two previous tools – Animal Feeding Site (AFOSite) and Business Environmental Resource Management (BERM) – and combines their utility and data for a more comprehensive report.
The AgSite uses a wide variety of data to generate a report that describes the physical, cultural, and environmental characteristics of a selected parcel of land and its surroundings. The AgSite was built to:
- Help individuals purchasing land understand its attributes and surroundings;
- Help farmers understand what people outside of agriculture thought was important about their land; and
- Provide education, policy perspective, and resource ideas to land owners in an easy to understand way.
Even though the AgSite was primarily built for use by farmers, ranchers, economic developers, and land owners, its utility is far greater. A few ways anyone can use the AgSite:
- To understand the possible conflicts of interest in the use of a piece of land. The report lets you know if there are endangered species in the county, wetlands, and other features that could impact its ability to be used in specific ways.
- To understand the productive resources of the piece of land. There are many hidden pieces of information under the soil – the AgSite report can help you discover attributes that you didn’t know existed.
- To include the AgSite report in a business report or loan application. The more you know about where your business is going to be located, the more prepared you are for the future and potential questions from your business team.
Want to learn more about the AgSite? Check out this webinar we hosted. It provides a step-by-step walk through of the site, how to select and manipulate an area on the map, how to generate a report, and how to get more information about the data included in the report.