Community Commons is proud to be the home of Salud America! Growing Healthy Change; a site dedicated to empowering healthy community change for Latino children locally and across the nation.
Inspiring stories and innovative ideas continue to emerge from the Growing Healthy Change site and we are thrilled to be able to share one with you.
Creating Healthier School Concession Stands
Northeast Independent School District in San Antonio, Texas was known for their strong wellness policy and had great success with improved nutrition during the school day, but after-school events were another matter. Concession stand foods were almost all high-fat, high-sugar and offered very few healthy options.
School Board president Susan Galindo didn’t like the conflicting message this sent to students and families. With support from the superintendent’s office and a ready partner in Rachel Naylor, the districts director of physical education, health and nutrition, she set out to create a concession stand menu that would further the districts health goals.
The successful Right Bites menu has spread to 11 other district concession stands and Galindo hopes other school districts will be inspired by their success.
Tools to Help You Make This Change
- Engaging stakeholders was key to the success of this unique project. Learn how to Unlock the Power of Collaboration and find your Community Leaders.
- Our tips and resources on how to improve vending machines can be carried over to concession stands policies.
- Indicator reports offer an excellent opportunity to look at your region’s assets and disparities. Create a Community Health Needs Assessment report by first choosing the type of report you want to make and then simply enter your state and county (or several counties) and the data automatically populates for you.
- From there you can explore information such as demographics, social & economic factors, and health behaviors. The data and visual graphics are downloadable and can be put into your presentations or grant applications. The reports page also generates custom maps for your areas of interest. You can click on the maps to zoom in or out and to add more data layers.
- Want to make more maps? For a more streamlined process visit our Map Room to search and explore all of the data layers available to you or click on a map below to zoom to your city and see the data provided.
Enjoy our other Salud Hero features, “Roll Models” Ride for Fitness and Health Clinic Opens a Farmers Market, and then become a Salud Hero yourself by joining the Growing Healthy Change group. This is why we created Community Commons — to help you use the latest technology and tools to make lasting change and share your stories and strategies so that we can collaborate, learn, and make change together.